Monday 2 July 2012

at what age should I retire my horse...?



the quick answer to the question 
at what age should I retire my horse? 

is in all probability 
- as long as he's healthy -
a lot later than you think...!
 
Using my 'old' horse as an example....
I have a 26 year old Thoroughbred
(pictured above)

who is very 'high mileage'
having been ridden 300+ days a year for all of his competitive career
 
vets have always advised 
the absolute worst thing I could do
would be to retire him

obviously, 
the level and type of work he does 
takes his age into consideration

but he is still ridden 2 to 3 times a week 

and, believe me...
he can still act like a 4 year old on a ride 
when the mood takes him!!!

but the regular exercise...
keeps his circulation and joints going...
and most importantly keeps his brain active...

if you want to know why  
healthy horses shouldn't be retired...
just picture old people in retirement hostels

if just left in their rooms
in front of the television 
they quickly go 'down hill'

if out 'playing bingo' 
and 'nipping down the dance hall' 
they can stay active and 'with it' for years...

please, don't leave a healthy, intelligent horse 
to 'moulder' in a field
just because he's reached some arbitrary date on the calendar...

- just think, 
how would you feel
if you were 'in his hooves'?

So, at what age should I retire my horse?
  • when he no longer enjoys a quiet hack (trail ride)
  • or when your vet tells you to... 

see also : horse exercise routine

For your own copy of my 
FREE training guides and newsletter 
please complete the form at the bottom of this page

To access all blog posts, click the tab at the top of the page
or join us on Facebook by clicking on the following link > www.facebook.com/labruyere123

Please share this information with anyone you feel would find it of interest
by clicking on the relevant button below.
 

9 comments:

  1. I recently lost my boy at the age of 32Yrs just before christmas and he was never fully retaired as he loved doing a job, his job was teaching the babies having a ride round the woods and doing vetrain showing . My personal oppion is that a horse should be retired when they tell you . x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. It sounds like he had a wonderful life and was obviously very well cared for to reach such a good age. It must have been a hard Christmas for you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your the only one that can tell!x - HLS UK VIA FB

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi i have a 16.1 mare who is now 35+ she is active and only stopped being ridden about 3 years ago ! i have worked in the dressage world and seen 17 yro horses retired and we have lost them within 2 years ! it all depend on you horse , if they have worked all their life for you and you suddenly stop they can and do give up and go down hill fast . hope this helps xx - KATIE VIA FB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lenamore's many fans will be glad to hear

    Team NZ have included him in their 2012 Olympic list

    at 19 I'm guessing he would probably be
    the oldest horse ever to compete at an Olympics...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My old boy is 34 and still enjoys a quiet hack out in the bush
    And he still acts like a teenager. He is fitter
    Than his paddock buddy who is quite substantially
    Younger than him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your comment... more support for the view that giving a horse ongoing stimulation for his brain, and an appropriate level of regular exercise maintains their joie de vivre. 34 is very impressive, you're obviously taking good care of him!!!

      Delete
    2. can't resist this....
      re his paddock buddy
      I reckon I could give most humans half my age a good run for their money too!!!!
      :-}

      but then I certainly get regular exercise
      - it's called being a horse owner !!!!!

      Delete
  7. btw - if you have a recent photo of him,

    please either post it on the facebook page(link at bottom of each post)
    or email it to me at labruyere@ee-to-er.com
    and I'll post it to the blog....
    (in either instance please add a note referencing this reply, so I know it's him)

    I'm sure the blog viewers would love to see him as much as I would....

    ReplyDelete