Saturday 23 June 2012

horse exercise routine

I frequently see and hear discussions about 'how often should I ride my horse ?'...

and mostly, people appear concerned that they may be 'over-doing' it

I find it fascinating that people feel guilty if they don't walk their dog every day
but also feel guilty if they do exercise their horse every day

as a general rule, I would suggest that  
very few horses kept for recreation, pleasure, or even competition, are over worked

indeed I would suggest that many, many horses
do not do sufficient exercise to keep both their body and their mind healthy and active

and with horses, the devil generally finds work for idle hooves to do

as bored horses frequently invent 'games' to keep them occupied
such games include :
  • (not) catch
  • (not) put bridle on
  • push and barge
  • etc....

I find 
the more my horses are worked,
the happier they are, 
and the easier they are to handle

horses are, after all, creatures who thrive on routine and habit

in general, as long as the horse is fit and healthy, 
I believe you should aim to exercise the horse at least 3 times per week

and there is no reason why such a horse can't be exercised every day
( Q: horse owners -  when was the last time YOU had a day off?)

Generally it is much better for a horse 
to be exercised for 30 minutes, four times a week
than to be ridden for 2 hours, once a week

However the following should always be bourne in mind :
  • the horses level of fitness
  • providing a variety of work over the sessions
  • (ideally a mix of at least 3 of : hacking, flat-work, jumping, pole-work, ground-work, lungeing/long reining, fittening, competing)

and, of course, there is absolutely nothing wrong
with a day off your horse exercise routine
every now and then....

related post: from horse science news 

see also: labruyere - at what age should I retire my horse?

For your own copy of my 
FREE training guides and newsletter 
please complete the form on the right hand side of this page

To access all blog posts, click the tab at the top of the page
or join me on Facebook by clicking on the following link > www.facebook.com/labruyere123

Please share this information with anyone you feel would find it of interest
by clicking on the relevant button below.



2 comments:

  1. I always was the 'I don't want him to be tired' type of person. I had a big fall from my boy 5 weeks ago and it was all due to him taking the p***. He is now worked 6 days a week, varied work (flat, jump, hack, lunge) and he is a much happier person and much more controllable. Sometimes he is worked am and pm and although he gets tired by the end of the session, he is always full of energy for the next time. I think too many people 'nanny' their horses when at the end of the day they are there to do a job :-) - SAMANTHA VIA FB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha - couldn't agree more - my advice to people who find themselves with a bit too much horse is always '(hard)feed them half as much; ride them twice as much...' - glad you have both turned a positive corner

      Delete